PCAA is Committed to Your Ongoing Professional Development and Providing Excellence in Caring

Complaints about a PCAA Member

PCAA takes its responsibly for safe quality professional care very seriously. The PCAA is responsible for the management and coordination of the complaints and disciplinary processes and procedures. In regard to any complaint made against a PCAA member we respond promptly and take a proactive approach. This allows for the protection of the public through the maintenance of high standards, competence and fitness to practice. This is turn protects and promotes the reputation of Professional Carers. 

Members of the PCAA agree to abide by the PCAA Code of Professional Conduct and are guided by the Statement of Ethical Practice. Our aim is to ensure that all professional carers provide safe and effective care within their scope of practice.

Please note: PCAA can only act on complaints made about members of the PCAA.

If you are unhappy with some aspect of your care or believe that the Professional Carer has acted inappropriately, it is best to attempt to speak to the Professional Carer in the first instance and voice your concerns. Most issues can be dealt with this way, especially if there has been a misunderstanding.

However, if this approach doesn’t work, you don’t feel comfortable doing this, or the matter is more serious, you may consider:

  • If the Professional Carer is employed in an aged care facility, home care setting, large community organisation, speak to their supervisor or consider using the formal complaints process

  • Make a complaint to the PCAA

  • Discuss your concerns and lodge a complaint with the relevant healthcare complaints body in your state or territory.


A complaint against a PCAA member must be made in writing to the PCAA.

The nature and substance of the complaint made will be assessed on a preliminary basis to determine its validity. If a complaint is deemed to be valid mediation and alternate resolution processes may be utilised.

Where a complaint is dealt with formally by the PCAA the complaint made shall be forwarded to the relevant PCAA member to provide them with an opportunity to respond to the complaint.

An investigation into the matter shall then occur that may result in a hearing by a Hearing Panel to formally address the complaint, allow the Respondent to address the complaint and for a determination to be made on the case. An appeal process is also available.  

If the person you wish to make a complaint about is not a Professional Carer, you will need to contact their registration body (e.g. AHPRA) or the relevant health complaints body in your state or territory.

A number of outcomes are available to the PCAA upon receipt of a complaint including:

  • Dismissal of complaint

  • Enforceable sanctions for example, reprimand, formal warning, prescribed CPD, mandatory supervision

  • Suspension from care work

  • Suspension of PCAA membership

  • Termination of PCAA membership


A complaints register is maintained and all complaints received by the PCAA are dealt with confidentially.


The PCAA will in handling complaints comply with the requirements of Natural Justice and Privacy.


In the event a complaint raises a matter suggesting a breach of the criminal law the PCAA shall refer it to the relevant authorities. If a complaint raises a matter that is the subject of an ongoing criminal and or civil proceeding the PCAA may suspend its complaint process. A complaint made in these circumstances may be resumed following its conclusion.   

Please complete this form to make a complaint or raise a concern about a PCAA member:  

The Board can only make a decision based on the information it has.  For this reason it is important that you provide all the information you can about what happened, so that the Board can make an informed decision about what to do next. The PCAA Board will not advocate for you, its job is to find out what happened, to make a decision about whether the Professional Carer has failed to meet the required standards and to take any action needed to keep the public safe and to stop the same thing happening again.

You can complete this form electronically or by printing and filling it out.  You can lodge this completed form, along with any additional documents or information, including additional pages with information that does not fit in the space provided on the complaint form, by mail or email.

Better Care Starts With You